Rediscovering Kolkata (Part 1: Victoria Memorial)

Friday, July 8, 2011
Calcutta was the city I was born in. I spent about a decade there before moving to Munger and then Delhi owing to dad's tranfer and my higher education. And Kolkata is the city I now visit a couple of times in a year to meet my family and to relax. (I still prefer the name 'Calcutta' though.) The city has changed over the years like all other cities, but it is still slow, lazy and still beautiful. It has some great heritage bulidings built in the British era. I always admired them but this time I decided to permanently store their beauty through my second set of eyes, my camera.

So I ventured out in the middle of the intermittent rains with my camera hanging around my neck and an umbrella in my hand to rediscover the City of Joy! I have to admit that I could barely capture 25% of the city's beauty because I was awetsruck by my first destination, the Victoria Memorial and spent most part of the day, doing one of the two things people go there for (making memories through making out or photographs). So this post is entirely dedicated to Victoria Memorial.

A Little Bit of History.. (Courtesy: Wiki)
The Victoria Memorial, officially the Victoria Memorial Hall, is a memorial building dedicated to Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom and Empress of India. The foundation stone of the memorial was laid down in the year 1906. The monument was intended to serve as a tribute to the success of the British Empire in India.

The design of the structure represents a fusion of British and Mughal architecture. White Makrana marbles were used in the construction of Victoria Memorial Hall and the building was inaugurated in the year 1921. The massive hall is 338 feet (103 m) by 228 feet (69 m) and rises to a height of 184 feet (56 m).

Now Lots of Pictures!!
1
2

3.Victoria Memorial against the clouds

4.View from the Balcony
5
6
7

8.The Other Side

9. Enjoying the Rains and the Pebble Walk

10. The Garden 
11

12. King Edward VII Arch

13. King Edward against Victoria's Fairy

14. Every Cloud has a Silver Lining :)

Hope you enjoyed these and tell me the one you like the best!