PaBookWorm Effect: Bob Ong's "Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan"

Wednesday, April 13, 2011


I now introduce a new feature here in my BLOG and I call it "PaBookWorm Effect"! I read books but not totally much, only those books that I really like to read and writers I like to follow. What I mean is that I'm not a Bookworm, "paBookworm" lang! haha! My first review is Bob Ong's 8th book, "Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan"(Mama Susan's Friends). I bought the book with no second thoughts, Bob Ong is one of my fav'rite pinoy writers, I strongly believe that Bob Ong is the only Filipino author to influence the youth to read books. Some of his popular books, which I like as well are "ABNKKBSNPLAKo?!", "Macarthur" and my most fave "Bakit Baligtad Magbasa ng Libro ang Pilipino?". He's latest book "Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan" is different from all the books he already published. So if you did not read the book yet, it's better not to continue with this article, makuntento na kayo sa comment na'to "Maganda sya"!

Sa matatapang, Go!





The story of "Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan" revolves around the main protagonist and also the author's "journals", Galo AKA Gilberto P. Manansala. The whole book is about his journal which started out as a school project and eventually became his hobby. The book vaguely describes Galo but you will see him in your mind in full 3D! This is why Bob Ong is really a good story teller, Galo was only described as a 16 year old college student who wear glasses and had a military type cut of hair.I like the way he swears (potek! madapaker!), he also released his feelings through poetry and rap songs. His journal contains all his life's struggle as a college student and as a nephew to Auring and Dindo. At first that is how you will see the book is...a Diary, the good thing is the more pages you read, the book becomes more solid and driving. Weird things started when Galo returns home to his province because of his ailing grandmother. A cult-like religion, weird people and a creepy house filled Galo's journal. Suspense and scary events unfolds up to the books climactic page. You will then realize that your on the last page.



The book's mind boggling description of events will let you make your own ending to the story, some weird and scary parts will make you think of maybe past events or why those things are being seen by Galo.One of the examples are the kids, Niko & Jezel. Is Jezel really a medium or she's one of Mama Susan's "friends"? Why is the jar that was filled with sea water and medallions with Galo's name inside it is in Niko's possession? But what I really think about these events? Jezel really is a medium, she can see things that normal people won't see, like the old man that tried to grab Galo or the people inside the "secret" room. The kids are actually there to prevent or delay Galo's plan to leave the island. Mama Susan's "friends" are not the "Kapatiran" but all the religious figures inside her house, which I also think comes to life (read page 101). Mama Susan died several times already (my guess 12 times based on the number of statues inside the secret room) Galo is the thirteenth "sinner" to be sacrifice in exchange of Mama Susan's resurrection. Hanep! Mala-Silent Hill! The last page explains the writings on the first page, "Huwag mong babanggitin ang Hindi". Bob Ong successfully scared he's reader with this book. Now I can't wait for he's next masterpiece. Bob Ong's "Ang Mga Kaibigan Ni Mama Susan" is available now! Grab your copy!


I also added here the trailer for the said book, which is REALLY scary! harhar...









video upload credits to YouTube/rogeliomanglicmot.